Social Impact Objectives
Social Impact Communities
Based on individual and organizational relationships, social impact communities birth innovations through synergistic connections. These innovations include solutions to some of the world’s most pressing problems, such as inequality and climate change. Read on to learn about the objectives, organizations, and relationships that make social impact communities thrive.
What are the objectives of social impact communities?
The primary purpose of social impact communities is to create social innovations, which are new and improved methods for meeting social needs. The United Nations' Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) provide an effective mechanism for understanding high-priority social needs. They also act as an excellent starting point for aspiring social innovators who are looking for problems to address. Overall, the UN SDGs capture social innovation opportunities in a comprehensible manner that encompasses common social impact objectives.
First envisioned in 2012, the UN SDGs were designed and adopted by all UN member states in 2015. Serving as universal goals, the SDGs were crafted to meet the urgent environmental, political, and economic challenges that our global population currently faces. The SDGs replace the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), which were created in 2000 to guide the global fight against poverty. Here is an overview of the UN SDGs:
- No Poverty: End extreme poverty in all forms by 2030.
- Zero Hunger: End hunger. Achieve food security and improved nutrition. Promote sustainable agriculture.
- Good Health and Well-Being: Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all ages.
- Quality Education: Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education. Promote lifelong learning opportunities for all.
- Gender Equality: Achieve gender equality. Empower all women and girls.
- Clean Water and Sanitation: Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all.
- Affordable and Clean Energy: Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable, and modern energy for all.
- Decent Work and Economic Growth: Promote sustained, inclusive, and sustainable economic growth. Provide full and productive employment with decent work for all.
- Industry, Innovation, and Infrastructure: Build resilient infrastructure. Promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization. Foster innovation.
- Reduced Inequalities: Reduce inequality within and among countries.
- Sustainable Cities and Communities: Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient, and sustainable.
- Responsible Consumption and Production: Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns.
- Climate Action: Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts.
- Life Below Water: Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas, and marine resources for sustainable development.
- Life on Land: Protect, restore, and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems. Sustainable manage forests. Combat desertification. Halt and reverse land degradation. Halt biodiversity loss.
- Peace, Justice, and Strong Institutions: Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development. Provide access to justice for all. Build effective, accountable, and inclusive institutions at all levels.
- Partnerships for the Goals: Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development.